Monday 7 November 2011

Glorious little things

If you know me at all, you'll be aware that I really dislike the winter. It's not the cold - I've always preferred the cold to the hot weather. It's not the approach of Christmas with its little stresses, or the fact that none of my shoes are appropriate for rain and snow.

It's all about the daylight. When it goes away, each day shorter than the last, it makes me very, very unhappy. My whole family does it.

So we have to look to the little things that make it all a little better. I'll admit, that is usually food for me. Often, it's also the little achievements or things I've been able to make for myself that help things along. Once in a while those categories overlap. For example; my potatoes!


Over the summer, I discovered a couple of potatoes in the back of the cupboard which had begun to grow. They had inch-long shoots coming out of every eye. Normally you'd just bin them, but I thought it could hardly do any harm, and tossed the into a pot full of compost. And then forgot about them.

This weekend, I headed home. On Sunday, my boyfriend and I popped out to the shop. When we returned, mum called me out to the kitchen and handed me my pot. Most of the compost had been scooped out, leaving this collection of lovely - if muddy potatoes!

I made these. And now, I'm going to make them dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment